Turning Public Transit into a full service mobility provider: "HANNOVERmobile"
We know that today’s customers expect public transit to offer not just trams and busses but comprehensive services tailored to their mobility needs. And we know that the private automobile is the benchmark for any mobility services. For this approach, intermodal services like Park & Ride are insufficient – public transit operators need to provide seamless mobility.
Having this in mind, the Greater Hannover Transport Association started a “cutting edge” service innovation in October 2004: For the first time worldwide, a comprehensive “mobility package” is offered to the customers. HANNOVERmobile means the full integration of public transit, carsharing and taxi. All of the services will be invoiced with just one monthly “mobility bill”.
The mission of HANNOVERmobile is to offer hassle-free “one-stop mobility”. Instead of spending time on choosing the right solution and signing up with a multitude of providers, the customer has instant access to a comprehensive “mobility menue” from which he or she can choose the right service for the given needs at any time by using his “all-in-one” access-card. Seen from the point of strategy, the public transit provider moves up to a comprehensive mobility provider, who can use this reselling tool for increasing the number of customers, improving the customer loyality and to broaden the product portfolio by these additional services.
Our goals and objectives
We understand that the ever increasing car ownership is a major threat for PT. Therefore, the goals of HANNOVERmobile are:
- to foster “smart” multimodal mobility by offering the customer the adequate mode of transportation for every trip
- to reduce the number of cars as well as the amount of vehicle miles driven
- to increase customer loyality for PT
- to improve the mobility of people without a private car
- to develop a new market for PT within the today´s sector of the private automobile
This is our contribution to a sustainable transportation system.
The partners and services of HANNOVERmobile
By paying just 7,95 EUR extra to the costs of a regular annual pass for Public Transport, every customer of HANNOVERmobile will get these services:
Seamless mobility: The HANNOVERmobile-Card has it all!
- Public Transit: Annual pass
- Carsharing: Every customer will be automatically registered with the local carsharing-provider at no extra costs.
The integration of public transit and Carsharing forms the core of HANNOVERmobile: Carsharing is regarded as a new, innovative public mobility service which is seamlessly included into the public transit portfolio – with ONE card and ONE monthly bill.
Many of PT customers do not own a car. With carsharing they can use a car whenever they need one. They just pick up one of the cars in their neighbourhood and pay by hour and mile! Thus, carsharing enables people to give up their private car, as customers are free from all hassles and fixed costs of a private car, having a multitude of different types of vehicles to choose from. Conseqently carsharing has proven to be a useful tool to strengthen customer loyality for PT: The customers mainly use PT for their everyday trips and the car occasionally for special purposes such as transports and weekend-trips.
More than 2000 customers are using carsharing in Hanover today with more tan 110 cars and vans that are located on 70 spots alle over the city and in parts of the surrounding area.
- Taxi: special (discounted) fare, payment through the monthly bill
- Long distance Rail: The “BahnCard 25” ( a 25 % discount card for rail transport in Germany) is automatically included at no extra costs
- Joint mobility bill: All basic costs and the cost for Carsharing- and Taxitrips are automatically invoiced from the customer´s account. The customer gets a detailed, integrated “mobility-bill”